Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Family

This past weekend I had the opportunity to witness something.  Something very special. I was able to fly to Dallas this weekend and see my girlfriends brother (Jobin) get married.  And it was wonderful.  There, I met their extended family for the 1st time and I must say I was actually pretty nervous.  Juby picks me up from the airport, takes me back to her brothers place where I meet two of their cousins and of course, stuck my chess out, shoulders back and with confidence went up to them and introduced myself. Still being somewhat nervous, they shook my hand, smiled back and introduced themselves to me.  Though at 1st it took a few minutes to start a conversation (because everyone was changing getting ready for the wedding) once someone spoke, the conversation took off.


1 Peter 2:17

Respect everyone, and LOVE your christian brothers and sisters.  Fear GOD, and respect the King.

As we headed out to the church, Jobin asked me to drive one of the cars where Daniel and Ashlin (Juby and Jobin's cousins) accompanied me.  During the ride we simply began to talk and started to get to know each other.  We pull up to the church, unpack the cars of the things we need for the wedding and went inside one of the rooms to change.  In the room was a piano (which I hadn't played in months) so I began to play as the groom and groomsmen changed.  One of the songs I was playing was a familiar sound when all of a sudden I heard Ashlin come up from behind me and start singing along with the tune.  We instantly made a connection and next thing you know, Daniel began to sing as well. We began to sing song after song from one to the other and come to find out they both play instruments in which we could have easily began a whole worship session.  That very moment was the same moment that allowed us to connect and LOVE each other as believers in  Christ and to honor the people of GOD.  It was simply Beautiful.

(Ashlin, Juby & Daniel)

Acts 28:2

The local inhabitants showed us extraordinary kindness, for they built a fire and welcomed us all because it had started to rain and was cold.

Now... Don't misinterpret what I'm about to say.  No it wasn't raining and I wasn't in the cold and they didn't build me a fire BUT, they welcomed me into their home and showed me EXTRAORDINARY Kindness.  I could have needed to stay at a Hotel and they didn't have to include me in on their FAMILY festivities but they did.  Before everyone left, Daniel said: "Man... I don't wanna go back home. Why can't every day be like this?" and when he said that, it made me realize why I had such a great time with them.  Though I wasn't with "MY" FAMILY, they made me feel so welcomed and inclusive that simply being around a FAMILY atmosphere brought such Joy to my heart.  It made me not only appreciate the time I was able to spend with my Juby and her FAMILY but how grateful I am for my own. 


I arrived at the airport, said my goodbyes to Juby, her brother Jobin and his wife Ina.  As we departed and as I started walking to my gate, I thought about how much fun I had with the FAMILY.  I left Dallas and arrived in Seattle for my connecting flight back to Fairbanks Alaska.  I moved to the next gate, boarded the plane and say in my seat.  I then began to think about how much I already missed Juby and her FAMILY because I had such a great time with them that I wanted to hear from my own.  I called my Mom just to say hi and said: "Hey! What are you doing?!" She responded "Hey Honey! I'm at the fair with your Father and the cousins. How are you?!" I don't know what it was but when she asked that, it made me miss her and my FAMILY more and my eyes began to water and I responded as best as I could (without her knowing I was about to cry) "I'm good Mom! Just wanted to say hi and let you know how much I LOVE and miss you.  Were about to take off so I'll call when I land" Mom answers: "Ok Babe! We LOVE and miss you too.  So much. Bye Sweetheart!" and before I speak, I choke, wipe the tears from my face, take a deep breath and as best as I knew how I said "Ok Mom, LOVE you too" and hung up.


Lamentations 3:22

The Lord's loyal kindness never ceases; his compassions never end.


I said this to say that as much as I miss my FAMILY, I was so fortunate to spend my last weekend before I deploy with someone I care about deeply and her FAMILY.  My time spent with them reminded me how our Heavenly Fathers Kindness NEVER ceases and that his compassion NEVER ends.  Do I miss her, her FAMILY and the time I've had with my FAMILY and best friends? You better believe I do.  But GOD is with me at ALL times and I am just overwhelmed with tears of Joy (even as I write this) that GOD's kindness over flows through the people he's put in my life whether I'm home, in Houston, Dallas, Alaska or even Afghanistan.  In my life, my GOD is lifted high and as best as I can and know how to, I will continue to keep him the center of my life knowing that he is my passion and my portion.  So Thank You Heavenly Father for your LOVE, Kindness and compassion (whether it's directly from you or through our LOVED ones) and thank you LORD, for FAMILY.

GOD is LOVE

3 comments:

  1. Ohana....Family....No one gets left behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol He's my Ultimate #1 Fav Disney Character too. Thx Ate for your kind words. Your motivation in me is so Awesome. Your a very huge reason why I continue to do what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very glad you could make it. You def fit into the craziness that is our clan....and I never realized how important moments like those meant till i got some of those moments last weekend. Thanks for coming and being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete